Spent last two mornings birding around Lake Placid and the “boreal belt”.  My
report is perhaps not as exciting as some of the local birders, but here it
goes.

Abundant Black-capped Chickadees, Red-breasted Nuthatches, American Crows, Blue
Jays, and a couple of Hairy Woodpeckers while snow-shoe-ing Paul Smith VIC.
Essentially saw these five species everywhere I went.  Unfortunately, missed
the Red Crossbills seen earlier in the morning.

Was swooped by a couple of Gray Jays that have been hanging out by the feeders
on the southern Bloomingdale Bog path.  At the cross path was an American Tree
Sparrow.  A Black-backed Woodpecker was seen at the Snowmobile Memorial and
Boreal Chickadees on the northern path the day before but no luck when I was
there.

A Ruffed Grouse strutted by the side of Oregon Plains Road just north of
Bigelow Road.  Returning on Rte 3 I encountered a dozen Wild Turkeys in a snowy
farm field just north of Saranac Lake.

Although I only heard Ravens at Paul Smith, I finally had a good look at a pair
while snow-shoe-ing around Chubb River Swamp.  A flock of mid-size finches flew
overhead as I returned to Lake Placid from Chubb River at the corner of Rte 73
but there was too much traffic to hear or stop for them.

My last bird was a Northern Shrike on Riverside Drive along the Ausable River
just off of Rte 73 across from the ski jumps.

Happy Birding,
Alan Drogin