This morning between 0720 & 0745 I was able to do a quick check of the many
geese on the north end of Merritt's Pond, Riverhead. The south end is still
iced over, but the north section (the deeper of the two) is now ~ 90% open.
The first surprise was a colorful one, a gorgeous drake Common Merganser,
which is my first of the winter, as well as the first time I've seen this
specie at this location.

 Toward the end of my scan, I saw this odd head, which could only mean one
of two things, a hybrid... or a Bar-headed Goose ! As luck (and many
thousands of miles) would have it, it was a "funny" goose. I never did see
the complete bird, due to it's being mostly tucked all the while I was
there. What I did see, in addition to the black & white head, was a large
Canada body, with a yellow leg poking out. Unfortunately, ~ 2/3 of the
flock were also tucked, plus packed together pretty good, thereby making
chances for spotting a rarity slim, to slimmer !

Cheers,
Bob