Jones Beach and Pt' Lookout 7 March

Joe Giunta and I (Sy Schiff) birded a barren landscape, cold, overcast, with
east winds. There were virtually no birds except for a small flock of AMERICAN
ROBINS that flew by. However, from the SW corner of west end #2 and looking SW,
the NORTHERN SHRIKE was perched in the top of a distant bayberry clump. Scope
required. We walked down the fisherman's path and got a better look, at which
point it dropped down and disappeared. From the top of a nearby dune, we saw a
single SNOWY OWL far off by the inlet. (The shrike and 3 owls were reported
yesterday). Walking down to the shore, there were quite a few LONG-TAILED DUCKS
in the ocean.

Pt. Lookout was also quiet except for some DUNLIN along the shore and 11 COMMON
EIDER to the west of the jetty. We did not walk to the inlet.

Sy