Thursday, 13 March, 2014  -  Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

Thanks yet again to Peter Post for reporting to this publicly-
accessible list  the "new" Red-necked Grebe at the reservoir of
Central Park today. (No one need subscribe nor register, merely have
standard internet access, in order to read all of the reports
appearing on nysbirds, unlike some other reporting mechanisms which
need not be named...)

The grebe was still present as of 5:25 p.m. Thurs., and it had flown
(I saw it fly) from near the s. shore to near the w. or almost n.w.
side of the reservoir (that flight at about 4:50 p.m.) In watching it
fly, I initially believed it could have flown out & away from the park
as I momentarily lost it in sun-glare, looking west-sw, but it had
come down in the newly-opened swath of water along the western side of
the reservoir. (there are also continuing Red-breasted Mergansers,
both male & presumed female, but these ought pose no ID issues, in any
reasonable views.)

Other changes today noted by Peter & some others, gulls were few
today, while Wood Duck numbers at the res. had reached at least 7.
Also missing for the most part were N. Shovelers, although 1 or 2 were
still at the reservoir this late afternoon.  2 pairs of Hooded
Mergansers were in opposite corners, at the nw & se edges of the open
water. The reservoir still has well over 50%, perhaps still 75% ice
cover, although more signs of ice break-up are evident by today.

good birding,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan