Hi all;

A hybrid goose has spent the winter with the brant flock on Randall's
Island, first noted (by me, at least) in January the same day the barnacle
goose was found. It appears very similar to a dark brant, but aside from
the obvious darker coloration, particularly on the flanks, and reduced
black on the neck, there is also reduced white uppertail coverts and subtly
different head and neck shape. Brant x Cackling goose has been suggested
and seems plausible to me, although I don't know if this combination has
been ever definitively recorded. A few pictures taken today are on my
flickr page, below. Also of interest, every time I have seen it this bird
has kept to the very edge of the brant flock- the other birds don't seem
fond of it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/elwingflight/sets/72157640157804394/

Anya Auerbach