Monday, 17 March, 2014 - Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

At the reservoir a very short while ago, the Red-necked Grebe (in
transitioning plumage) was still present, last seen swimming from
central area towards the southeast. At the extreme southeast portion
of open water, many ducks & some geese, gulls, etc., among which a
drake American Wigeon, very possibly same individual that had been
seen one day last week at the reservoir & then moved out, also drake
Ring-necked Duck. (NB, the wigeon, when observed had its head very
thoroughly tucked such that even the pate was partially obscured).
Other ducks - the number of Ruddys had doubled! (to two now), and
there were at least 5 Wood Ducks, 6 Hooded Mergansers, & a few
Buffleheads scattered around from SE part to NW & N. pumphouse; there
were as many as 80 N. Shovelers loafing on the ice edge at the SE
portion;  gulls were in the mid-hundreds & most were at the n. end
when I passed, I scanned a bit & came up with no "specials" among them.

I did not check most other areas of the park, but did pass the Meer,
where I saw little of note.

good birding,

Tom Fiore
Manhattan