I remember Manny Levine, simply, as a really nice guy to many younger-
newer birders, encouraging and also pushing them (us, me, back a few
decades ago) to get out in the field even more, use our skills, take
notes, draw, photograph, do what it takes to document, & then THINK
about what is going on when we see birds, and migration, and a very
great deal more...   Nice guy, great man, superb mentor. May he rest
in peace.

Sunday, 30 March, 2014  -  Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

There'd been a bit of movement & a few "new" arrivals (barely!) as of
this weekend. The RED-NECKED GREBE continued at the reservoir as it
has now for 2 & a half weeks; each day still there it appears just
slightly more towards a bright breeding plumage... also present on the
reservoir: 5+ Double-crested Cormorants, the pair of Red-breasted
Mergansers, a "bluebill" (1 amongst the 6 or so Ruddy Ducks is gaining
much breeding plumage including that bright-light blue bill color in
decent light - Bluebill is a term used once-upon-a-time by those who
hunt, & by birders past a certain age), A few Hooded Mergansers, a
coupla' Coots (American flavor), Northern Shovelers - 120+ altogether,
on res., Buffleheads showing slight increase and on virtually all
waters in the park (even, briefly, the model boat pond a.k.a. the
Conservatory Water), Gadwalls, & gulls of the usual 3 spp. and not a
whole mess of them, at noon.

Wood Ducks were found in 3 locations: Lake (5 together), Pond (1
sleeping drake), & Meer (drake);  Black-crowned Night-Herons up to at
least 3: two of these roosting above a Great Blue Heron at the Point,
another black-crowned at the Pond;  Killdeer: 2 photographed with all
the many robins, grackles, & asst'd. other icteridace-ous birds (well,
there was one Common Grackle that at a distance, "aztec thrush
plumage?" and did have quite a symmetry of leucistic tendencies to
some of its wing & tail feathers...); the killdeer were still there as
I passed the Great Lawn the 2nd time, very close by the east path.

Also present in the very-grackly ball-field (Great Lawn) flockage were
a number of Brown-headed Cowbirds of both sex, & a a very few Rusty
Blackbirds & Red-winged Blackbirds.  Of course the 2 Baltimore Orioles
lingering in the Ramble made this a 5-icterid day - but where was the
meadowlark to make that a "six-pack"?  Also still lingering in the
Ramble & feeder area, the not-so-colorful female PINE WARBLER (still
the onliest to show up yet this year in NY Co.?)... & "red" Fox
Sparrows a-plenty in multiple locations, the Ramble seeming to hold
more foxies than all other areas.

The other sparrows today included a couple new to me in Central this
year: Field, CHIPPING (at least 2, maybe more, as dogs did their dogly-
duty & ran thru where some of these sparrows were coming out to feed
on open lawn, at the s. slope of the Great Hill...), & Savannah (2,
one at Great Hill, a second at the north side of Sheep Meadow), plus
Swamp (in the Gill [that's the little stream in the Ramble's official
name & it flows west from the Azalea Pond to the lake] Sparrow, which
may have overwintered - this individual in crispy spring plumage; and
of course good no's. of Song (& many giving songs) and White-throated
Sparrows, all around as "typical", by now, and most overwintered.

E. Phoebe, still not common but over a dozen seen, in about as many
locations; 3 were working the Azalea Pond together at one point.
(thanks, Dennis.) A flickering of Yellow-shafted Flickers, a very few
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, a coupla' Brown Creepers, a Hermit Thrush
(but I suspect it wintered either in Central or extremely close to
there), and a few Am. Goldfinch nowhere near the feeders, rounded out
some of my bird highlights on the morning & mid-day. A whole lot more
American Robins have been in this weekend - now in the multi-thousand
range. 3 native mammal species in Central today: E. Chipmunk, E. Gray
Squirrel, Raccoon. No bats, so far...

good end-of-March birding,
keep above the high water!

Tom Fiore