Hello,      I just wanted to mention the passing of Peter Matthiessen,
eastern Long Island author, naturalist, environmentalist. Peter lived many
years in a house close to Sagg Pond,[ Sagaponack], and the oceans doorstep.
A spot many of us in the birding community are very familiar with. Of all
the many great nature writers we have, perhaps no one wrote as eloquently
of this world's wildlife or as insightfully of their surroundings.
 His,"Shorebirds of North America", is truly a classic in the field and a
work of great beauty. He wrote of  the Himalayas and a search for the
elusive Snow Leopard in ,"The Snow Leopard" and of the Arctic Skua in
 ,"End of the Earth, A Voyage to Antarctica", and the world's Cranes in,"
The Birds of Heaven, Travels with Cranes". His writings have been an life
long inspiration to me and I'm sure many others. Farewell Peter,
Carl Starace