hi all
Thanks to Doug Gochfeld for getting the word out on the Prospect Park flyover
Stilt this morning. It was the highlight of an amazing day! I got a pretty weak
photo of the bird and tried to put it up on my flickr site. I'm now having
problems accessing flickr and will have to leave it for now. This link may
work:https://www.flickr.com/photos/22689183@N00/cheersKeir
RandallBrooklynProspect Park, Kings, US-NY
May 2, 2014 5:50 AM - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
75 species

Canada Goose 4
Mute Swan 5
Wood Duck 8
Mallard 4
Common Loon 2 Flyover, together.
Double-crested Cormorant 1
Great Blue Heron 1
Great Egret 3
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Black-necked Stilt 1 **Rare for Brooklyn and I think a first for Prospect Park.
At around 8am at the Maryland Steps, Lookout Hill. I picked up the bird to the
south, flying medium high towards the north. When I put my bins on it I was
amazed to see a black and white shorebird with long bright trailing red legs! I
knew instantly that it was this species. I got off two shots, the better of
which is pretty bad but possibly acts as a record shot just based on shape
[photo is , I think, uploaded to my flickr site but flickr seems to be crashing
and I have a 3am start tomorrow morning so I will have to add link later]
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Herring Gull 2
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) X
Mourning Dove X
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1 Sullivan Hill
Red-bellied Woodpecker 3
Downy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 4
Great Crested Flycatcher 2 Midwood
Eastern Kingbird 2
Blue-headed Vireo 5
Warbling Vireo 3
Blue Jay X
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 3
Tree Swallow X
Barn Swallow X
Black-capped Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse X
House Wren 5
Carolina Wren 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 7
Veery 2
Hermit Thrush 14 Everywhere
Wood Thrush 4 Singing early on Lookout and again and seen Vale & Midwood later.
American Robin X
Gray Catbird 15
Brown Thrasher 1 Above L249
European Starling X
Cedar Waxwing 1
Ovenbird 18 Singing and seen everywhere.
Worm-eating Warbler 2 Sullivan Hill and Midwood
Northern Waterthrush 3
Blue-winged Warbler 1 Center Drive above containers
Black-and-white Warbler 14
Common Yellowthroat 4
Hooded Warbler 2 Males in Midwood (thanks to Ed C.) and Ravine (singing)
American Redstart 2
Northern Parula 9
Magnolia Warbler 1 Sullivan Hill horse trail
Blackburnian Warbler 1 Sullivan Hill horse trail
Yellow Warbler 5
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1
Blackpoll Warbler 1
Black-throated Blue Warbler 7
Palm Warbler (Yellow) 9 Seemed like more new arrivals.
Pine Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 90
Prairie Warbler 3
Black-throated Green Warbler 3
Eastern Towhee 2
Chipping Sparrow 12
Song Sparrow X
Swamp Sparrow 3
White-throated Sparrow X
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored) 1
Northern Cardinal X
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1 A male in the Midwood
Red-winged Blackbird X
Common Grackle X
Brown-headed Cowbird 7
Orchard Oriole 4