I dropped off my daughter this morning for a lacrosse scrimmage and, instead of staying to watch the scintillating action that is 10th-grade girls’ lacrosse , I spent a few hours in Blydenburgh County Park (southern end off route 454).

I’ve found this park to be normally quiet during spring migration but today there were 12 species of warblers, most of them low enough in the trees to make for enjoyable viewing. Bay-breasted & Blackpoll were about the most noteworthy, all other being common warblers. Other migrants included Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, Red-eyed Vireo, Warbling Vireo, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Swainson’s Thrush (several), Wood Thrush, & Swamp Sparrow.

The most interesting sighting was the presence of 2 pairs of Forster’s Terns in the southern end of the pond. They sat together on the two signs in the middle of the pond and occasionally brought each other fish. I've seen Forster's Terns here before in the spring but just coursing back and forth over the pond. A 5th tern was also present today but seemed to be the odd man out.

Glenn Quinn
Hauppauge, NY

---
is active.