Dear New York Birders,

A wholehearted thank you to the citizen scientists, birding clubs and local
Audubon Chapters who participated in this past years launch of the Rusty
Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz.  Northern provinces will be wrapping up their
efforts this June and the New York window has been completed since the
beginning of May.

Out of 37 participating states, New York submitted the greatest number of
checklists containing Rusty Blackbird reports (931 checklists in April alone).
Well done!

The data will teach us many things both about Rusties and how to move forward
with conservation strategies but also how to continue to improve our outreach
and education efforts about this declining species.

As an encouraging side note, we also received news from a research group in New
Hampshire who found 30+ Rusty nests this year, including one with five-day-old
nestlings!

This was the first year of a three year blitz and we're more than pleased with
the number of participants and results thus far. That said, there is always
room for checklist improvement and blitz recruitment and I'll be in touch
during the 2014/2015 winter with suggestions and ideas on how to ramp up our
efforts here in New York State. So again, a job well done and we look forward
to working with everyone next year.
Best Wishes,

Derek Rogers (Long Island/NYC Blitz Coordinator)

Michael Shanley (Staten Island Coordinator)

Melanie McCormack (Upstate New York Coordinator)