Because recent sea-watching along the south shore of Long Island has not
been very productive, I was heartened to see a fairly distant Cory's
Shearwater from the Shinnecock Inlet overlook at about 7 p.m. this evening.
What may have been the same bird appeared about 8 minutes later,
considerably closer.

Shorebird movement seems to be on the increase, with at least 80
Short-billed Dowitchers and 40 Semipalmated Sandpipers joining Willets and
Least Sandpipers on the bay shore near Tiana Beach along Dune Road..

Before arriving at Dune Road, I stopped at Gabreskie Airport, where 3
Grasshopper Sparrows (adult and juvenile) were on the fence, but no Vesper
Sparrows were to be seen.

In Stony Brook, two young Yellow-crowned Night Herons in a nest directly
over a small street appear ready to leave the nest very soon.

Doug Futuyma
Stony Brook