At about 6:15am during my morning walk at the Rocky Point DEC property
(about here if you are keeping score: 40.939831, -72.909014) I heard a
familiar call overhead, albeit one I haven't heard much since leaving
Austin Texas a few years ago.  It stumped me for a second, but I then I
looked straight up to see three Upland Sandpipers fairly high, heading
roughly West.  Very cool.

This was species number 146 on my
big-year-of-birds-seen-while-walking-from-the-house, and it might just edge
out Rough-legged Hawk as the bird of the year.  I'm still thinking about it.

Richard Kaskan
Shoreham, NY
--
kas...@ieee.org