Shai Mitra's discovery (post courtesy of Andrew Baksh) of an American Avocet on
Sunken Meadow Creek at Sunken Meadow State Park did not mention that the bird
was found during the low tide cycle. I did not find any nearby reference points
at my usual tide table reference (saltwatertides.com). Probably the nearest
useful point for tide information is the Nissequogue River, which is just east
of Sunken Meadow State Park. A high tide table is available online from
Nissequogue River Canoe and Kayak Rentals Inc. at http://www.canoerentals.com
(I am sure there are others sources for nearby north shore tides). The tide
table indicates that the high tide in the Nissequogue River is 3:01PM for
Thursday, July 31st, indicating that a morning visit may be productive.

One of the few benefits of Superstorm Sandy was the loss of the dike that
inhibited the tidal range in Sunken Meadow Creek. The replacement of the dike
with a bridge has allowed for a more varied tidal range, exposing a fair amount
of mudflat at low tide. We had anticipated that if the area was birded
frequently, good shorebirds would eventually show up, and in this, the second
Fall shorebird season since Sandy, Shai Mitra has found what we hope is the
first of many (although the high number of Pectoral Sandpipers in the creek in
Spring was also noteworthy).  A distant photo of the Avocet is on my Flickr
site.

Ken Feustel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfeustel/