For decades many Queens and Brooklyn birders have known that the Ridgewood
Reservoir's 50 acres is an incredible birding hotspot. Unfortunately, it's
wetlands and emerging forests are now in danger of being destroyed because of
an incorrect classification as a "Class C, High Hazard Dam" by the NYS
Department of Environmental Conservation. I've been working with a dedicated
group of individuals at the Highland Park/Ridgewood Reservoir Alliance for
nearly 8 years in an attempt to protect this amazing place from development.
While birders have been fighting to close a breach on the West Pond at Jamaica
Bay Wildlife Refuge, the HPRRA is now in a struggle to prevent multiple
breaches and a roadway from being constructed at the Ridgewood Reservoir (and
at a huge expense to taxpayers).

Please take 30 seconds to sign our petition to the NYSDEC here:

http://tinyurl.com/nwlcv2h

If you've never birded at the Ridgewood Reservoir, I'll be leading a trip for
the Newtown Historical Society on August 17th. Otherwise, here is a link to a
Google map:

http://tinyurl.com/cjl53nq

Good birding,

Rob

PS - Here's a link to the eBird species list for Ridgewood Reservoir:
http://tinyurl.com/l2wel79

http://citybirder.blogspot.com
@thecitybirder