I spent 2.5 hours birding Mecox Inlet (Suffolk County) this gray, drizzly
morning, and, as Hugh said earlier this week, shorebird numbers have
increased. I also saw more terns, both in species and numbers than I have
all summer: Common, Forster's, Least, and one BLACK TERN.

The 11 shorebird species viewed included about 150 Sanderlings, 20 Black
Skimmers, including one with a silver band (numbers not legible in
photographs unfortunately), and at least 8 immature Piping Plovers (pretty
good considering I only saw 2 pairs of adults earlier in the summer; I was
told by the shorebird monitors that there was an additional breeding pair
further down the beach).

I did not see the Red-Necked Grebe, which does not mean it was not there.
One good thing about gray, drizzly mornings--less people taking their boats
across the bay and parking on the flats. One not so good thing--more people
walking their dogs off leash, despite the 'no dogs after 9am' sign.

Donna

*Donna L. SchulmanForest Hills, NY queensgir...@gmail.com
<queensgir...@gmail.com>*

* <http://www.flickr.com/photos/queensgirl>*