7 a.m. drinking my coffee on the bench at swimming beach looking at a lone
bobbing spotted sandpiper (still a lot of spots), when I notice another
unidentified shorebird crossing the bay. Two falcons appear out of nowhere
chasing it unsuccessfully. On the way back and over land the smaller one
(Merlin) is diving at the larger one (peregrine) then they disappear. The whole
thing was a blur maybe 20-30 seconds.  I thought all birds were terrified of
peregrines -- those Merlins deserve their reputation. (First "fall" Merlin).

L. Trachtenberg
Ossining, NY

Sent from my iPhone