I snuck out onto the flats just before high tide crept in to try and capitalize
on the coastal shorebird movement that was taking place today. Decent numbers
of expected species were present with some obvious east - west movement along
the bay and inside flats. Aside from 3 Whimbrels, and a lone AMERICAN
GOLDEN-PLOVER, the highlight by far was watching a group of 6 HUDSONIAN GODWITS
fly in from the east. The birds spent most of their time resting in the high
water on the flats before they flew west to the beach (sandy stretch just west
of main flats). After a short rest the birds continued on their journey west.

I also received an alert, and photo, from Justin Leclaire informing me that his
colleagues had a juvenile BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER on the flats at low tide this
AM.

Further east, at Mecox, John Shemilt had a productive morning also noting
constant turnover. His highlights were 11 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS, 1 BAIRD'S
SANDPIPER and 1 AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER. The continuing MARBLED GODWIT, along
with a single Whimbrel, was also present.

Best,

Derek Rogers
Sayville