Hempstead Lake SP.

    Joe Giunta, Debbie Martin and I (Sy Schiff) joined the South Shore Audubon
this morning in Hempstead. The walk produced several dozen species including
lingering Wood Duck, Pied-bill Grebe, 8 species of warbler, 4 species of
woodpecker, a Blue-headed Vireo, a few sparrows plus other usual common birds.
Not necessarily a migration, but a pleasant increase from recent days.

Kissena Park.

    After our tour of Hempstead, we went to Queens and birded the Kissena
Community Garden. The garden was lush with late vegetables and bursting with
planted flowers. There were lots of working gardeners who didn't seem to bother
us or the few sparrows and half dozen Palm Warblers.. We went next door to he
corridor where we found a pair of circling Red-tail Hawks, Red-eyed Vireo,
another Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, 3 species of warbler and 5 species of
sparrows. The birding here was a bit disappointing after the early morning at
Hempstead, but the overall day was a lovely Fall experience,

Sy