I went to Jamaica Bay this morning and there was lots of bird activity but
not many people.

I started on the trail from the visitor's center to the breach and I
immediately noticed many sparrows which I assumed were Song Sparrow or
White-throated Sparrows. There were a few Song Sparrows, but the majority
of the ones I identified were Swamp Sparrows. I started to look closely at
all the sparrows I was seeing and I soon also saw a Vesper Sparrow, my
first in years, a Clay-colored Sparrow, my first this year, and a Nelson's
Sparrow, my first ever. On the east pond I saw a White-crowned Sparrow, and
my first of the fall White-throated Sparrow.

On the West Pond I saw my first of the fall Brants and a pair of of Snow
Geese. On the East pond there were many birds on the north end. More
cormorants than I have ever seen at one time (200+) and many white birds
that were a mix of gulls, swans, and egrets.

I saw a total of 43 species for the trip. The full list is on ebird.

I was there from about 9:00 am to 11:00 am and surprisingly I only saw two
people on the trails.

--
Joseph O'Sullivan