This morning, at 10:40 AM, I found a stunning adult Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
on private land in Sands Point. Right about here: 40.86798,-73.710962
I observed it at close range for about 10 minutes and took some truly, truly
awful video of it which I will try and crop and post somewhere later.
For those of you familiar with this area, I found the bird at an area called
East Creek which is adjacent/part of Prospect Point in Sands Point (Nassau
County). East Creek is a salt marsh bordering Long Island Sound and there is a
wide border of dune scrub growth between the salt marsh and the sound. The bird
was perching nicely on the bushes here but eventually disappeared behind the
large creek that feeds this marsh. I searched for it again for about an hour
before moving on.
This area is unfortunately on private land. There is no access to this area by
car. You can walk to it (about half to three quarters mile) by heading west
from the Sands Point Preserve beach. The beachfront is of course public all the
way but the salt marsh area is private village land.
There was plenty of other movement in the area today, too, I’ll post results
later when I get home again.

Glenn Quinn
Hauppauge, NY

---