I birded the Sands Point Preserve this morning from 8-10. There was quite a bit
of migratory movement. Both kinglets were numerous as were Cedar Waxwing and
Hermit Thrush. Warblers were limited to Palm, Yellow-rumped, and a single
Black-throated Blue.
Sparrows were well represented by Song, White-throated, and Chipping, plus
single White-crowned and Field, and a bonus of 2 Lincoln’s. Winter Wren was
also present.

After the preserve, I walked along the beach to East Creek where I found the
previously posted Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. Still trying to upload video to an
old Flickr account (what an awful web service this is).
Brant were very numerous with over 1000 sitting on the out going tide mudflats,
with several hundred more flying east to west in small flocks all morning. I
photographed one individual with a curious white spot on the head behind the
eye. It seemed to be acting different from the others, too.
Nothing else on the sound save gulls and cormorants. A bonus to the flycatcher
was 3 American Pipits feeding on the beach, along with several Savannah
Sparrows.

Hawks were curiously absent today. 2 local Red-tails were all I could find.

Glenn Quinn
Hauppauge, NY

---
is active.