10/22/14 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

Pine Siskins showed up at our feeders yesterday (10/21/14) (same day they
arrived at Mickey Scilingo's feeders).  I was putting the feeders up at dawn
on 10/17/14, when a Black-capped Chickadee landed a few inches from me and I
heard a Pine Siskin flock nearby.  There are now 10 species visiting the
feeders.  The siskins continued to visit today (we also have Purple Finches
visiting).  I have 9 feeders out, and 6 more to add.

A solo Rusty Blackbird flew into a tree near me at the Little Tupper
Lake/Round Lake outlet area late this morning.  This continues to be a very
reliable location to find this species in both spring and fall migration.  I
was observing White-crowned, White-throated, and Chipping Sparrows at the
time.  Gray Jays were active and vocal at Sabattis Bog.  I "talked" with
them for a long time and they flew out to observe me!

My canoe-camping trip on the newly opened Essex Chain Lakes Primitive Area
was published on Adirondack Experience at:
http://www.adirondackexperience.com/blog/2014/10/canoe-camping-the-essex-cha
in-lakes .  There are many photos of the flora, fauna, and scenery at this
beautiful location.  If you look closely at the second Water Smartweed photo
(near the end of the blog), there is a creature on the flower - it has a
long, tubular looking nose.  If anyone can identify it, I would love to know
what it is - thank you!

My canoe-camping trip on gorgeous Lake Lila and climb of Mount Frederica was
also just published on Adirondack Experience at:
http://www.adirondackexperience.com/blog/2014/10/the-lure-of-lovely-lake-lil
a .  Again, there are a lot of scenic photos (sunset and sunrise) of the
lake and mountain.  I noticed two metal bands on the leg of one of the two
adult Bald Eagles perched over my camp site.

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home