Nassau Co,  5 November

Joe Giunta and I (Sy Schiff) spent the morning checking ponds and inlets in
Western Nassau Co. for early duck movements. We visited Grant Park, Bay Park,
Pond X, East Rockaway RR Station and Mill Pond in Rockville Centre.

Grant Park was the most interesting with species consisting of: GADWALL,
AMERICAN WIGEON, EURASIAN WIGEON, AMERICAN BLACK DUCK, MALLARD, BLACK DUCK X
MALLARD hybrid, RING-NECKED DUCK, LESSER SCAUP, COMMON GOLDENEYE, HOODED
MERGANSER and RUDDY DUCK, plus PIED-BILLED GREBE and a BELTED KINGFISHER.  Pond
X added GREEN-WINGED TEAL and NORTHERN PINTAIL. The other places had few ducks.
 Add BRANT, CANADA GOOSE and DOUBLE-CREASTED CORMORANT to round out the
waterfowl for the morning.

A nest box on an island off of Bay Park contained 2 resting PEREGRINE FALCONS
while a pair of GREAT BLUE HERONS flew over the marsh. A MERLIN flew by the
East Rockaway Station gazebo.

Sy