Just got the current issue of the Journal of Field Ornithology (vol. 85, no.
4, December 2014). I figure this is not a journal that most birders check
for ID articles so I thought I would draw attention to an article in it:
"Simple technique for distinguishing Yellow-bellied Flycatchers from
Cordilleran and Pacific-slope flycatchers by M. J. Baumann, S. C. Galen, N.
D. Pederson and C. C. Witt. Pp. 391-396. Anyone interested should read the
article for all the details, many of which involve measurements that can
only be done in the hand, but there is one character that can be used to
distinguish Yellow-bellied Flycatcher from "Western Flycatcher" (the complex
composed of Cordilleran and Pacific-slope flys.). It involves the space on
the folded wing between the lower wing bar and the start of the pale fringes
on the secondaries. This space is much larger in the Yellow-bellied than in
the "Western". I pulled out a few field guides from my bookshelf to see if
it was distinguishable in published illustrations. I found it was apparent
in the photos in Kenn Kaufman's Birds of North America (at least in the
first edition that I have). It was also obvious in Dave Sibley's paintings
of these species in his Second Edition of the Sibley Guide to Birds (I
didn't check the first edition). The authors of the Journal of Field
Ornithology article tested their technique on 113 museum specimens that had
been identified based on locality. They found their technique correctly
place 112 of the specimens. One specimen labeled as a Yellow-bellied
Flycatcher that had been collected in Illinois was identified as a "Western
Flycatcher" by their technique. Amazingly, when the mtDNA of this specimen
was examined, the specimen proved to be a "Western Flycatcher", the first
for the complex for Illinois!

Distinguishing a Yellow-bellied Fly from a "Western Fly" has not come up yet
in New York, but hey, you never know.

Joe DiCostanzo

www.greatgullisland.org <http://www.greatgullisland.org/>

www.inwoodbirder.blogspot.com