12/26/14 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

A Mink ran across the road in front of my car on Sabattis Circle Road!  Two
Gray Jays were at Sabattis Bog.  This is the second day we've had a Pine
Siskin (just one!) at our feeders.  It arrived in the high wind/rain storm.
We hit a high of over 50 Amer. Goldfinches at our feeders yesterday (less
today).  This is a very unusual species to have at this time of year at our
location, although with the climate so greatly changed, I'm not sure what
"usual" is anymore.

Ruffed Grouse are regularly observed along Sabattis Circle Road - often
feeding on buds high in deciduous trees.  A few Snow Buntings are still in
our area.

I hear the Flying Squirrel almost every night on our baby monitor (used to
bring in the outside sounds) - I can hear it smack into the feeders!
Sometimes I am awake enough to go observe it.  It reminds me of a gremlin!

12/23/14 Chaumont, Point Peninsula, and Cape Vincent (Jefferson Co.)

I drove by Sabattis Bog on my way to Jefferson Co. on Tuesday and found the
pair of Gray Jays.  I arrived in the Chaumont area in the early afternoon.
I was hoping to see a Snowy Owl, and I was thrilled to find NINE!  It
appears to be another remarkable irruptive year for this species in our
area.  I photographed 8 of the 9 owls (it was too dark by the time I found
the 9th to take photos) with my scope and iPhone attachment, and Canon SX50.
I posted 16 photos to my Facebook page at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian .  Eight of the nine Snowy Owls
were active and one was snoozing.  I was enthralled watching their behavior
- preening, listening, hunting, and I watched one regurgitate a pellet
(photo number 11).  I took over 700 photos Tuesday afternoon!  Since I was
using two different cameras, my photos ended up in different areas on the
computer - what I found interesting is that I could match the owls by their
distinctive patterns of markings.  Four of the nine were very lightly
marked, with one that was particularly white.  The very white owl reminded
me of Casper the Ghost!  Four were darkly marked, and I didn't have a good
view of the ninth since it was getting very dark.  In one area, there was a
Snowy Owl on a pole, and 10 poles away, there was another.  I was watching
the second owl when it appeared to become agitated.  A third Snowy Owl was
flying through its territory.  The second Snowy Owl took off after the third
owl and chased it to what must have been an acceptable distance away and
then it flew right back to the same telephone pole!

I was somewhat surprised to find completely open water off Point Peninsula.
There was a lot of waterfowl.  Point Peninsula is such a beautiful spot and
the lighting is always what captivates me - it was ethereal.  Here are some
of the species found from Chaumont to Point Peninsula to Cape Vincent:

Tundra Swan - 5; 4 adults and one juvenile

Gadwall

Bufflehead

Common Goldeneye

Red-breasted Merganser

Wild Turkey

Red-tailed Hawk - 7

Rough-legged Hawk - 7; 1 dark morph

Snowy Owl - 9

Short-eared Owl - heard in a location where we observed them last year

American Kestrel - 3

Snow Bunting - large flock flying

12/22/14 Sabattis Circle Road (Hamilton Co.)

An adult Northern Shrike was perched along Sabattis Circle Road.  At
Sabattis Bog, I found a male Black-backed Woodpecker and two Gray Jays.  The
woodpecker was very close and I took many photos (posted to Facebook).

12/19/14 Sabattis Circle Road

I found two different Ruffed Grouse, 3 Gray Jays (1 along the road and 2 at
the bog), and 3 Snow Buntings flew around the bog.

12/16/14 Route 30 and Sabattis Circle Road

4 Gray Jays:  Two Gray Jays were perched together at the top of a conifer
along Route 30 in Long Lake.  Another pair was found at Sabattis Bog.

12/9/14 Long Lake

A Merlin was flying around the Long Lake beach area, then flew across the
lake into tall pines (where they nest each year).

12/7/14 Long Lake and Tupper Lake (Hamilton and Franklin Counties)

I found two Gray Jays at Sabattis Bog.  An adult Bald Eagle was perched
along the causeway in Tupper Lake.  After an Audubon meeting at the Wild
Center, Pat and John Thaxton and I went to Spring Pond Bog.  We found a Gray
Jay at the gate location - the caretaker feeds them.  We found two more Gray
Jays on a side road in boreal forest.  John started to whistle a few
(human!) songs and one of the Gray Jays seemed to become enchanted and
followed him around!  We also heard two Boreal Chickadees.

On a 12/5/14 tour with two birders, one from NYC and one from Westchester
Co., we visited boreal habitat in Long Lake, Newcomb, and Minerva.  Here are
some of the species found:

Ruffed Grouse - high up in a deciduous tree near Sabattis Bog

Black-backed Woodpecker - 1 male at Sabattis Bog

Pileated Woodpecker - a few heard, and one observed flying

Gray Jay - 2 at Sabattis Bog

Common Raven - several

Boreal Chickadee - 2 along the Roosevelt Truck Trail, with one observed

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper - several heard, and one observed

Golden-crowned Kinglet - many

Dark-eyed Junco

White-winged Crossbill - flyover flock of 9 on the Roosevelt Truck Trail,
and more heard along Route 28N

Common Redpoll - flyover flock at Sabattis Bog

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home