Greetings,

  The fourth annualUlster/Dutchess (NYUD) Christmas Bird Count was held on
Saturday, December 272014.  This year’s count was conductedunder a favorable
setting with temperatures ranging from a low of 31 degrees atour 4:00 AM start
time to an afternoon high of 54 degrees. There was absolutelyno snow cover and
all bodies of water were free of any measurable ice in thecount circle.  Clear
skies and a completelack of wind made nocturnal efforts quite hospitable.
These moderate conditions made for a moreenjoyable day in the field but did not
exactly translate into big numbers.

  Our species total of 86 was slightly above our three year average of 84 but
our individual total droppedfor the fourth consecutive year to 14,233 birds
reported.  An inexplicable late hunting season keptseveral attractive waterfowl
locations atypically void of ducks or withextremely anxious birds.  Shots
wereheard all morning along the Hudson River.  One field party witnessed
“nuisance control” ata golf course and another noted only five of the 49 ducks
observed were on thewater with the others hurriedly flying about Tivoli Bays.
Surprisingly low numbers of American Robinsand blackbird species also adversely
affected our totals.  Mother Nature likely had a hand in this aswell without
any sense of urgency to move or even congregate species that mightgenerally pad
our numbers remained dispersed.

  The lack of ice didallow for one Common Loon and six Horned Grebes (new
species to the NYUDcomposite) to remain on the far eastern portion of the
Ashokan Reservoir.  In the Town of Saugerties another three newspecies were
added to the NYUD composite with a Northern Goshawk, 5 NorthernPintails, and an
Eastern Phoebe (presumably partially sustained by an insecthatch that was
observed in more than one sector).  An Evening Grosbeak in the Town of
Rhinebeckand a Ring-necked Duck in the Town of Red Hook also joined the NYUD
compositethis year.  The most unusual addition wasa Snowy Owl, not that it was
completely unexpected but the manner in which itcame to be part of this count;
a nonparticipant discovered the bird, a secondhand e-bird report was generated,
and then a conversation and cell phone image viaFacebook the following day to
confirm.  Withamendments this year the NYUD composite now stands at 113 species
in it’s briefhistory.

  Other interesting orunusual species included Fish Crows in Columbia County, a
Wood Duck in WestHurley, a woodcock/snipe species briefly observed in the Town
of Ulster, anOrange-crowned Warbler (associating with a lingering Ruby-crowned
Kinglet) inSleightsburg, and winter finches were represented by PineSiskins in
two sectors and two Purple Finches in Saugerties.  With conditions as they
were, field partiesanticipated good sparrow results and although total numbers
were not impressivediversity was better than any previous count, with towhee,
Field, Chipping, andWhite-crowned tallied along with the regulars. Owling was
rewarding in all sectors that conducted a nocturnal effortincluding a “sweep”
of the three regulars in the Town of Rhinebeck and fiveEastern Screech Owls in
the greater Tivoli Bays area alone.  A few trends seem to be developing as
ourcount matures.  A burgeoning winter roostof Black Vultures on the Bard
College Campus swelled to 100 birds this year andMerlin has become our
“reliable” falcon species.   Countweek species this year were Long-tailed Duck,
Iceland Gull (who has been inthis role before and yet to make count day), and a
late addition on the lastday of the count week by John Haas who briefly
observed, at close range, a maleBlack and White Warbler he found while visiting
Sleightsburg Spit in search ofthe aforementioned Orange-crowned Warbler.

   Thank You to the 46 field observers and threefeeder-watchers who thoroughly
and productively covered our circle andespecially to Steve Chorvas who
continues to steward this fledgling count (andcorrect all my mistakes).   Our
well attended post count compilation wasmanaged by my beautiful wife Kyla Haber
who again did most of the “heavylifting” and handled days of cooking and
baking, blown fuses, a clogged sink,and a 3:00 a.m. alarm with a smile. Thanks
also to all those who brought additional food and drink and addedto this
festive gathering.

Respectively submitted,
Mark DeDea
Co-compiler Ulster/Dutchess (NYUD) CBC
Save the date: 5th annual NYUD CBC Saturday,December 26th 2015

SECTOR “A” WEST SAUGERTIESBob Miller, Vanessa Lane, George Moxham, Mary Moxham,
Wes Finger (fw)

SECTOR “B”SAUGERTIES Steve Chorvas, Alan Beebe, Eileen Cunningham, Deb
Ferguson, Frank Murphy,Doreen Beebe (fw)

SECTOR “C”CHEVIOTGregory Esch, George Rodenhausen

SECTOR “D”KERLEY'S CORNERS PeterSchoenberger, Susan Fox Rogers, Christina Baal,
Erin Kelly

SECTOR “E”WOODSTOCKSteve Schuyler, Peter Schuyler, Bruce Nott, Dixon Onderdonk,
Ryan Nerp, GlenVan Gorden, Jeff Nerp

SECTOR “F”LAKE KATRINELin Fagan, Kathie Mock, Maeve Maurer, David Arner, Bob
DeDea (fw)

SECTOR “G”ANNADALE-ON-HUDSON JessProckup, Jim Prockup, Steve Bauer, Dan Porter

SECTOR “H”RED HOOK Jim Closs, Dave Grover, Roberta Dopson, Barbara Butler, Dot
Fleury, FredBaumgarten, Mona Payton

SECTOR “I”KINGSTON MarkDeDea, Donna Seymour, Annie Mardiney, Charlotte Adamis

SECTOR “J”RHINEBECKWendy Tocci, Thom Grady, David Hayes, Deb Kral, Rodney
Johnson

NYUD CBC Summary – December 27, 2014

Total

NYUD Christmas Bird Count