Yesterday, Sean Sime, Joe DiCostanzo, and I birded the east end of Long
Island. At Montauk Point, we were slightly disappointed with the alcid
show, totaling less than *20 Razorbills* between the Point and the Camp
Hero Bluffs. However, we were happier with the gorgeous drake *KING EIDER*
that Joe deftly pulled out of the flock of several thousand Common Eiders
to the SSE of the Camp Hero overlook.
Other highlights of our roughly 90 species for the day were as follows:

*BALTIMORE ORIOLE*: 1 along the Montauk State Parkway between the point and
Deep Hollow Ranch (south of Oyster Pond). This stretch of the parkway was
productive for the regular winter half hardies as well, producing multiples
of Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Hermit Thrush, and Eastern Towhee.
*Orange-crowned Warbler*: *5! *This included 4 together at one spot,
accompanied by no other birds, just east of the south end of Sagaponack
Pond (also a Ring-necked Pheasant at this location) !! They were close
enough to afford us the opportunity to get a photo of 3 (2.95, really) of
the birds in one frame. The other individual was in the western end of the
vegetation between the pond itself, and the parking lot, near 6
Black-capped Chickadees.
*Laughing Gull*: 1 juvenile continuing at Sagaponack Pond.
Canvasback: *31 *at the pond at Seatuck Creek in Eastport (also 128
Ring-neked Ducks).
Lesser Black-backed Gull: Adult at Sagaponack Pond
Bald Eagle: immature at Sagaponack Pond

Shorts Pond had ~3,200 Canada Geese, and 17 Snow Geese, but we couldn't
find any other species of goose mixed in.

Good Birding
Doug Gochfeld. Brooklyn, NY.