Happy New Year.

Finally found the time time to post our 2014 results.

The 2014 Sagaponack CBC was held on Sunday 21 December,  We
confronted challenging weather but through hard work by our
enthusiastic crew had a successful count.  We were fortunate to have
more participants than past years.

We observed 127 species with an additional two seen during count
week. We added two species to the overall list: Common Raven and
Wilson's Warbler.

Our highlights were as follows: 4 Greater White-fronted Geese, 2
Cackling Geese, 5 Brant, 2 Tundra Swans, 94 Common Eider, 3
Red-necked Grebes, 2 Bald Eagles, 1 Rough-legged Hawk, 1 American
Kestrel, 3 Virginia Rails, 2 Purple Sandpipers, 1 Laughing Gull, 1
Black-headed Gull, 1 Lesser Black-backed Gull, 1 Glaucous Gull, 66
Razorbills, 2 Long-eared Owls, 1 Short-eared Owls, 4 Yellow-bellied
Sapsuckers, 1 Fish Crow, 1 Common Raven, 110, Horned Larks, 3 House
Wrens, 14 Eastern Bluebirds, 10 Hermit Thrushes, 19 Catbirds, 4 Brown
Thrashers, 12 American Pipits, 6 Orange-crowned Warblers, 1 Nashville
Warbler, 10 Palm Warblers, 2 Common Yellowthroats, 1 Wilson's
Warbler, 17 Eastern Towhees, 36 American Tree Sparrow, 7 Chipping
Sparrows, 1 Vesper Sparrow, 65 Fox Sparrows, 61 White-crowned
Sparrows, 16 Eastern Meadowlarks, 1 Baltimore Oriole, 1 Purple Finch
and 7 Pine Siskins.

Birds occurring in higher numbers than usual included: 313 Mute
Swans, 122 Ring-necked Ducks, 182 Hooded Merganser, 102 Wild Turkey,
12 Cooper's Hawks, 367 American Coots, 15 Screech Owls, 497 Blue
Jays, 57 White-breasted Nuthatches, and 1518 American Robins.

Birds occurring in low numbers included most puddle ducks, all bay
ducks, Ring-necked Pheasant, Myrtle Warbler, Field Sparrow, and Snow
Bunting.

Bad misses (defined as birds we see at least 50% of the time on
previous counts): Snow Goose, Wood Duck, Common Merganser, Great
Cormorant, Black-crowned Nigh-Heron, Black-bellied Plover, Killdeer,
Marsh Wren and Ipswich Sparrow.

Black-legged Kittiwake and Tree Swallow were seen during count week.

Thanks to all of the group who made this a successful count.

The 2015 Sagaponack CBC will be held on Sunday 20 December so mark
your birding calendars.  If you are interested in being added to our
participant list, please email me.