Shinnecock Inlet, Dune Rd. & EPCAL 21 Jan 15

Joe, Giunta, Sam Jannazzo, Rick Kopitsch and I (Sy Schiff) went to Shinnecock
Inlet and scoped the bay. Distant views found BLACK, SURF, WHITE-WING SCOTERS,
a male KING EIDER,  many COMMON EIDERS and a number of seals.

We went looking for Bittern and Redpolls along Dune Road. At Tiana, we found a
juvenile and a 3rd winter Iceland Gull on the ocean beach. We continued west,
finally turning around and retracing our route. We appeared to have missed our
target birds, but In a 5-minute period, as we approached the Ponquogue Bridge,
we found an AMERICAN BITTERN and at Ave K we found a flock of 25 COMMON REDPOLL
that came to drink in a puddle before flying off.

After stopping to pick up sandwiches, we drove to EPCAL. There, just as we
arrived, someone flying a parachute got off the ground and scared a SHORT-EARED
OWL and several EASTERN MEADOWLARKS.   In 10 minutes birding, ignoring the
driving time between places, we got 4 of our target birds.  Pleasant day with
good company.

Sy