Can someone get a more specific location as to where the Caracara was seen and
post it to the list please?

From: birderla...@verizon.net
To: sws6...@gmail.com; NYSbirds-L@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Caracara
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 09:36:50 -0500

There was one reported in Bear Mountain State Park earlier this month –
here’s the posting form the Hudson River Almanac. Same bird?

1/5 - Bear Mountain State Park, HRM
45.5: This is normally a time of year when people head south. However, on this
blustery winter day a Floridian made a rare visit to the skies over Doodletown
at Bear Mountain State Park. We watched in amazement as a crested caracara
soared overhead in the late morning sun. The bird circled several times,
drifted
north out of view, and then returned overhead before heading east toward the
Hudson. The field markings and overall gestalt of the bird were unmistakable.
our knowledge, this was the first record of a caracara in New York State. We
later learned that one of these southern raptors was photographed in Berks
County, PA, just a week earlier, so perhaps our sighting was the same bird
blown
north by the previous day’s violent winds. Wherever it came from, it was a
sight
to behold, a tropical apparition on a brisk winter’s day.

Larry
Federman
Education Coordinator
Audubon New York
Rheinstrom Hill,
Buttercup Farm, and RamsHorn-Livingston Sanctuaries and Centers