After trying 3 X for the Rough-legged Hawk seen locally in the the Roanoke
area of Riverhead by 2 local birders, and not connecting, I decided to try
for at least one of the Ocean Pkwy/Jones Beach birds today. This trip
became moot while driving through Calverton, en-route to the LIE, when a
light-morph individual (my FOS) appeared over a field bordered by Manor
La., Rt. 25, Edwards Ave and the "high line". This stroke of good fortune
allowed me to "go locally", and since I was fairly close to the area that
used to be the best bet out this way to see this specie, I headed for the
Calverton Grasslands. While the light-morph bird found there probably was
the 2nd of the day, it certainly could have been the one seen earlier.

I then headed toward the Roanoke area, to try for the immature N. Goshawk
seen intermittently by a couple of local birders (I've seen photograph) on
Reeves Ave, between Roanoke Ave & Doctors Path. Reeves Ave has mostly been
associated with goose flocks, sparrows, raptors and bison, and although
today offered no goshawk, it did provide 4 species of raptors: N. Harrier
(Gray Ghost); Red-ta[l Hawk; A. Kestrel and another light morph
Rough-legged Hawk(either the 2nd or 3rd of the day) !

And now for the kicker - I may have also seen a white morph Gyrfalcon off
of Reeves Ave too ! This quick glimpse happened while I was still in the
car and trying to make a perched Red-tail into a Rough-legged. I was still
behind the wheel, looking through the open passenger-side window, when
suddenly I became aware of a large, mostly white bird flying through the
back of my binocular field. I was able to move with it for a very short
time, before it passed behind buildings, and out of sight. By the time I
got to the other side of the house, etc., it was gone. The Red-tail was ~
100 yards n/o the road, with the mystery bird way out in the field, ~ 3 to
4 X that distance.  It was flying fairly low ( ~ 30 to 40' off the ground),
body mostly white, with dark wing tips, while it's back appeared light
gray. The "jizz" I received from this bird was not that of a an owl,
harrier, goose, etc., but that of a flying "Gyr".

Initially, I was not going to mention this sighting, since my perception of
this quick encounter could be faulty, but because of other's past postings
re: "a large, white, falcon type bird" in this general area, as well as
Angus Wilson's urging to be on the lookout for it, I have !

Cheers,
Bob