Soccer was canceled today (a miracle in itself) so I managed to get down to
Jones Beach West End early this afternoon. My God, was it cold.

At the coast guard station, there was a large cooperative flock of Snow
Buntings, Horned Larks, and Lapland Longspurs feeding on the lawn just east of
the restroom building. Using the car as a windscreen, I was able to get out and
carefully count 16 longspurs amongst about 100 buntings and larks. This is the
most longspurs I have ever seen together. Good views of various plumages. I did
not really look for the Bohemian Waxwing but did find several Chipping Sparrows
in the median.

Heading back east, there were both a light morph and dark morph Rough-legged
Hawks working the median of Ocean Parkway in the vicinity of Cedar Beach. Good
views, too.

Finally, the previously reported Lapland Longspur was still feeding with Snow
Buntings and Horned Larks in the grass at the entrance to Robert Moses SP field
5. I found another dark phase Rough-legged Hawk over the Fire Island hawk watch
stand, heading east. Can’t say for sure if it was the same bird from Cedar
Beach.

Glenn Quinn
Hauppauge, NY

---