A birthday walk in Croton Point Park before the snow today revealed a dearth of Bald Eagles. We had 9 sightings of eagles, mostly distant. (Only 9! I know, we're getting spoiled.) A male Norther Harrier was bouncing over the hill. A Merlin nicely perched near the Point. A single Red-tailed hawk. No Common Redpoll. Cold and bitter with the damp wind, with ice everywhere except around the Point itself. I was expecting to see some eagles on the train ride up the Croton-Harmon and then back to NYC, but only one each way.

A good day for a flask of whisky, for reinforcements.

Matthew
http://matthewwills.com