The last late-blooming flowers of Bryant Park were killed off in a major
frosting just before Thanksgiving.  Then the grounds crew cleared most of the
downed autumn leaves, giving the bordering hedges a pristine look but reducing
the chances of winter hearties that could take advantage of the holiday food
concessions and then run for cover.  As far I know, this late winter were no
rufous-tailed hummer sightings, no Towhee or Sapsuckers in front of the library
on Fifth Avenue, no Chat, no wrens, no Lincoln.  By the holiday week, the
sparrow population had reduced equally between House and Common White-throats
with one Swamp Sparrow, plus two Catbirds.  Yet, the holiday concession stands
operated longer into the new year - a few remaining loyal to the ice rink until
last week’s final closure.  I last saw the Swamp Sparrow with a lone Catbird in
mid-January, pecking at freeze-dried hotdogs by the entrance to Celsius.  The
last Catbird made it through the last weekend of January for the winter BBQ
fest, then was not seen again.  Then the snows came hard - and perhaps this
winter wasn’t the worst, but unusual for the city, the park grounds remained
snow-covered ever since.  In the center of the winter wonderland, the fountain
turned into an abstract ice sculpture and viral snapshot.

During the worst weather, the sparrows would congregate at the garden
facilities in the southeast corner.  If I stood nearby, they would collect in a
stack of folded lawn chairs looking like an apartment complex, so they could
check me out at eye level.  If I put my hands in my pockets, the House Sparrows
would swoop down and gather at my feet.  Perhaps they are used to a charitable
grounds crew worker.

I expect the snow this week, like the rink’s ice, will finally melt away.  I’m
already seeing struggling skunk cabbage shoots out on Long Island.  Then it
will be arrival time.

Happy Birding,
Alan Drogin