Plateau Mountain, Greene County
Wednesday, 03 June and Saturday, 06 June 2015

Last week I conducted two annual breeding bird surveys on the summit of
Plateau Mountain for the Vermont Center for Ecostudies Mountain
Birdwatch program.  The first survey covers the southeastern half of the
two-mile long summit plateau, the second survey starts near Orchard
Ledge and extends out over the northwestern half.  The survey starts
before sunrise and utilizes six 20-minute point counts/survey to
document the presence of Bicknell's Thrush and seven additional target
species that breed in the high-elevation coniferous forest of the
Catskill Mountains.

Weather conditions this year were not as cooperative in comparison to
the past 15 years during the first survey, and deteriorated to
borderline acceptable during the second effort.  Temperatures were
pleasantly cold on 03 June (44° F) with fog and a persistent light
breeze, followed by warmer temperatures (55° F), more fog, a persistent
drizzle, and considerably more wind on 06 June.

The list below represents bird species encountered on the mountain over
the two-day period, including the early morning ascent in darkness,
survey period, post-count at high elevation in principally coniferous
forest, late morning descent into lower elevation deciduous habitat, and
a short walk along the base of Plateau Mountain in Stony Clove.  Most of
the species and individuals were first encountered on 03 June.  Only
when a total number was greater on the subsequent survey did I add the
difference to the adjusted two-day compilation to avoid potential
duplication.

Overall, diversity was about average but individuals were down for most
species (some considerably).  For comparative purposes, I included this
year's tally in parentheses (), followed by last year's numbers in
brackets [].  Weather conditions may have been a factor, and I did not
linger on the mountain post-survey for as long as I typically do, but
during my time on the mountain there clearly seemed to be far fewer
singing birds this year.

Plateau Mountain Bird Species List (2015) and [2014]

Peregrine Falcon (0)  [2]
Barred Owl (1 vocalizing on the ascent)  [4]
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (0)  [4]
Hairy Woodpecker (1)  [1]
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (5)  [23]
Eastern Wood-Pewee (0)  [1]
Blue-headed Vireo (0)  [1]
Red-eyed Vireo (18)  [2]
Blue Jay (0)  [2]
Common Raven (3)  [5]
Black-capped Chickadee (2)  [0]
Red-breasted Nuthatch (5)  [14]
Brown Creeper (2)  [1]
Winter Wren (10)  [18]
Golden-crowned Kinglet (8)  [15]
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (0)  [2]
Bicknell's Thrush (12)  [26]
Swainson's Thrush (15)  [20]
Hermit Thrush (1)  [3]
Cedar Waxwing (3+ heard only flyovers, in three locations) [4]
Magnolia Warbler (10)  [20]
Black-throated Blue Warbler (11)  [5]
Yellow-rumped Warbler (18)  [16]
Black-throated Green Warbler (7)  [6]
Blackburnian Warbler (6)  [10]
Blackpoll Warbler (16)  [26]
Black-and-white Warbler (1)  [3]
American Redstart (1)  [4]
Ovenbird (3)  [2]
Mourning Warbler (3 singing on territory)  [9]
Canada Warbler (0)  [5]
Scarlet Tanager (1)  [2]
White-throated Sparrow (3)  [15]
Dark-eyed Junco (5) [10]
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (1)  [2]
Indigo Bunting (2)  [2]
Purple Finch (5)  [10]

I did not detect Peregrine Falcons along the steep cliffs of Stony
Clove, or the presence of Northern Saw-whet Owl or Ruby-crowned Kinglet
up on the mountain this year.  The large synchronized flight of
thousands of small non-descript moths that I have encountered in some
past years flying at lower elevations were non-existent this year.
Several (5+) Pepper and Salt Skippers (butterflies) were present in
fresh condition along Stony Clove, and an old (2014) Mourning Cloak in
perhaps the final hours of her life was observed imbibing minerals
and/or moisture on wet soil, then depositing a cluster of eggs on a
willow twig.

Steve M. Chorvas
Saugerties, NY