Hi Ardith and fellow NY birders,
    A pair of Harriers at Jones Beach is nowadays a good find, but they
bred regularly on the south shore marshes not long ago. We had a pair
regularly just east of Gilgo Beach up to the 1980s, and we used to watch
the male drop a mouse to the female who rose up from where we assumed the
nest must be. They ought to breed still in Tobay, now that there is hardly
any human traffic there, but this is very late for an active nest unless an
earlier brood was destroyed.
    Now find a Short-eared Owl - they bred at Tobay up to the 1970s at
least.
   Bob Paxton and Sarah Plimpton