on this ongoing issue at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, Queens Co. (N.Y.
City)

Please correct if incorrect, but there is a relatively recent
agreement with the City of New York's Parks Dept., that does not
appear to transfer any management/decision-making back to the city**
These issues likely need to be addressed most to, & by, the top
administrators at Gateway National Recreation Area (Ms. Jennifer
Nersesian is the head administrator there) and possibly on up the
chain to the Washington DC offices of the National Parks Service.  The
city of New York once owned and managed Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge,
and (I believe) the laws that were applicable to its management were
different from those that apply now. For what it may be worth, and it
is important to understand to those who do not see a difference, the
management of the Jamaica Bay "Refuge" is under the purvey of a
National Recreation Area, with an emphasis on the word:
"Recreation"... hardly my preference nor that of anyone I know in the
naturalist community who have visited Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, it
has had a lot of consequences to how things are managed there,
particularly in recent times.  I would emphasize that as of now, the
people Andrew Baksh has suggested we contact, as well as the ideas put
forth by John Askildsen, be considered in earnest.  It will only
happen if enough of us make our voices heard to those who administrate
and who are meant to serve the public, we the people...

As already noted by Andrew Baksh -

I posted the contact information for Dave Taft and Jennifer Nersesian
in another post, those are the people you need to get in touch with.

Dave Taft: 718-338-3625 or Jennifer Nersesian: 718-354-4665
<

Again, Ms. Nersesian is the head administrator of Gateway National
Recreation Area.   I would also tend to agree with at least most if
not all of what John Askildsen posted, in part in response to Susan
Herbst's prior post, in that there will be more action taken in favor
of bird &/or habitat protection when pressure is applied and in part,
in addition to actual letters to elected representative (a physical,
paper & ink letter, sent in the old USPS system, is considered to have
the most impact of all ways of contacting a representative or an
official, or for that matter anyone in a public position even in our
age of mobile media. A phone call is also good, and an email is also
good. Adding one's name to a petition can be useful but individual,
personal input to one's elected officials and other public servants
are likely to make a stronger impression overall.)  Another thought is
that writers / editors for local newspapers and magazines, producers &
others with TV & radio programs, & web site managers might be
contacted along with your local or regional birding or environmental
group. (If a negatively-inclined piece appeared in, let's say, the NY
Times, you can be sure that folks behind desks at the National Parks
Service will quickly be made aware of that, and they will also be
aware if they receive praise in public for work well-done, when such
takes place, that is!) Also, being respectful and informed is a given
with feedback to any public official for there to be a chance for a
positive response.

Some of the additional ideas on volunteerism are of interest and could
potentially be of worth, but an issue that must be dealt with are
those in charge of management at the Refuge (or any other public lands
locations & issues). The area in discussion must be seen as in need of
work, & that work is in need of being done prior to now. We won't get
a volunteer effort going (on the projects at issue here) without the
approval of top management; their opinion & decisions can be affected
in part by our input.

sincerely, Tom Fiore, Manhattan (one of many long-time Jamaica Bay
Wildlife Refuge visitors & former volunteer for NPS Piping Plover
protection effort), New York City.

** those who wish to may read at least some of the transfer agreements
via NYC.gov web pages, they can take a bit of navigating to reach the
legalities involved therein.