Hi again, all,

NYC Audubon met today with NPS officials. NPS anticipates responding to all who
have emailed them with regard to the East Pond a statement as to where things
stand and, hopefully, why.  When received, I will repost the NPS response to
both nysbird-l and ebirdnyc.

Briefly, NPS believes the pond is now draining much better and faster, the
result of the "declogging" I described in my previous post and temporary repair
of the pipe, about 6 feet of which had collapsed, near the intake on the pond.
NPS feels the entire pipe was be replaced or competely repaired but that this
will be done at a later time.

NPS also discussed some other issues relating to drainage problem, such as the
high water level of the pond this summer, disturbances to the floor of the pond
caused by Sandy and subsequent restoration efforts of the railroad bridge.

NPS also feels, depending on future rainfall, that shoreline will be exposed in
the coming weeks, hopefully to the extent of other years.

So we wait to hear further. In any event, it is what it is.

I will allow them to explain hopefully more fully.

Harry Maas

---