Hey everyone,
When the whistling-ducks took off this afternoon, then flew west but low, and
may not have gone far. I stopped in at Conservation and Waterways and talked
with some of the plover crew there - this year the only other nearby body of
water is only a few hundred feet southwest of the southwest corner of that same
lot - you can access it by walking out to the beach (footpaths or the vehicle
path along the west side of the lot) and heading right (west) toward the
fenced-off, natural dune area right there. There are NO other vernal pools
further back in the dunes; just let that area be.
As for access, Nickerson is a problem, Sidestreet parking across Lido Blvd is
NOT allowed in summer from 8am-8pm for most areas that I saw. Car access to the
parking lot is $8 if you have a Leisure Pass (which costs $80 for the season),
otherwise $30 - until they stop collecting sometime in the evening (6pm?). The
best nearby parking option is likely the Lido Passive Preserve, just one
stoplight to the east of Nickerson, then walk or bike into Nickerson. Good
luck,Brendan Fogarty
Hempstead, NY