Since 7/18, I have tried at least 4 X to get a photo of a perched E.
Meadowlark, drenched in sunlight, and of course, with his head back,
singing ! Arriving ~ 0830, and spending a little more than 3 hours Friday
AM looking, I'm still without that photograph ! Although I saw ~ 8
Meadowlarks spread out over those 3+ hours, all of them refused to perch !
If I had been successful earlier, I would have left for home then, and not
have been in place to meet Eric Schneider (from Baldwin), who had headed
east today, with hope of finding the RMSP Lark Sparrow, as well as his 1st
NYS Grasshopper Sparrow. He missed the RMSP bird, but kept on trucking to
Calverton. When I heard the reason for his travel, I was able to take him
to the spot, where I had just seen a Grasshopper sparrow, perched on a
Mullein stalk, and carrying food. It was not long after arriving at this
location, that a Grasshopper Sparrow (also carrying) flew in, affording
Eric good views, especially through my scope !

Cheers,
Bob