A pleasant morning and afternoon was enjoyed on the East Pond at Jamaica
Bay Wildlife Refuge. Made so, by the weather, birds and company. Birding
with Tom Burke, Gail Benson, Shai Mitra, Patricia Lindsay, Steve Walter,
Rex and Renee Recker and Bob Shriber, we worked both south and north end of
the ponds.

An estimated 1500 Semipalmated Sandpipers were the dominant shorebird
species with the remaining species of shorebirds making up another 300 or
so birds. The juvenile numbers are building, especially among the
Semipalmated and Leasts. In total, there were 14 species of shorebirds that
most in our group observed. The list includes:

American Oystercatcher
Black-bellied Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
*WHIMBREL*
Ruddy Turnstone
Least Sandpiper
White-rumped Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper (2 birds)
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher

The Pectoral Sandpipers were seen on the bayside off the north dyke late
this afternoon and a calling Whimbrel was a flyover coming in from the
bayside heading south over the pond.

We did not see the Red-necked Phalarope that was reported by Isaac Grant
earlier in the day. The 1 Stilt Sandpiper that I had as recently as
Thursday was also not seen today by anyone in our group. I have been
checking on the arrival and departure of birds all week and based on my
observation it seems that the turnover on the pond is happening quite
frequently *(favorable winds I suppose)*. Tomorrow, could be quite a
different day with more or less birds on the pond.

The non shorebird sightings are nothing much to write about. The usual
waterfowl assortment for this time of the year were present. Isaac, also
reported having Blue-winged Teals this morning but unfortunately no one in
my group were able to connect with any. A good number of Great Blue Herons
were on the pond and nice mix of juvenile Little Blue Herons and Snowy
Egrets make a good study in separating them. The juvenile Peregrine
Falcons, now up to three were their usual nuisance selves, with one female
observed buzzing a Glossy Ibis which received a ding on the forehead.

A couple of notes on shorebirding on the pond this season. The Algae, is
making shorebirding quite the task in terms of counting and observing the
birds. Under normal circumstances, shorebirds could be observed feeding on
the exposed shoreline. The Algal mat has provided additional areas where
the smaller birds--your Semipalamted and Least Sandpipers are seen feeding
on. This means, the birds are quite scattered throughout the pond and are
not concentrated along the shoreline.

Regarding navigating around the pond. The water level, is where it needs to
be finally and the valve is shut. This is right in line with the expected
water level draw down and now nature takes its course in drying out the
exposed mudflats. I want to remind birders and visitors not to bird the
East Pond casually. There are some tricky areas around the pond on both
ends. Please exercise extra caution when navigating around the deep cut on
the south end; last year a photographer went down in that area with all his
gear and today someone else took a dip. Some smaller cuts on that end are
covered with the Algal mat and looks quite deceptive. If unsure, look for
previous tracks to help with your decision making.

I have done all that I could to work with NPS in getting the pond ready as
best as it could be. Now, let's hope for birds and lots of them to make up
for all the shorebirding we missed. When you stop in at the refuge, please
take a moment to convey your thanks to NPS for the efforts made or write to
those folks we went to when action was needed to lower the water.

Good Shorebirding!

--
風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest