Unfortunately, it is legal in several states to possess wild, exotic animals.
Some don't even require any kind of permits. I'm guessing someone bought it in
another state and drove back to NYC with it. After all, NYC is a perfectly
logical place for a rainforest mammal to live. Amirite? Perhaps a bag of figs
might persuade the little guy to climb down from his treeā€¦

Good birding,

Rob

http://citybirder.blogspot.com
@thecitybirder