We began the morning’s birding at Robert Moses State Park, where a sea watch
produced four Wilson’s Storm Petrels but not much else. There were a total of
four Lesser Black-backed Gulls in RMSP Fields 2 & 5. After a few unproductive
stops we headed west to Jones Beach State Park/West End 2. Bob Anderson told us
that he had seen two Black Terns feeding in Jones Inlet off the jetty so we
headed down the beach. On the way down the beach we had two Black Terns, with
an additional twelve feeding in the inlet with Laughing Gulls and Common Terns.
Also present on the beach were four Lesser Black-backed Gulls. Rainfall was
very spotty, with Robert Moses State Park showing a good number of parking lot
puddles, while at Heckscher State Park rainfall seemed more modest (although
there were good numbers of mosquitoes). We never got down to the ponds between
WE2 and the Nature Center, so we are unsure of how much rain coastal Nassau
County received.

Ken & Sue Feustel