I played hooky from my dead-end job this morning and birded the Sands Point
Preserve and adjacent land. The winds were favorable and there was decent
migratory movement. The highlight was a first-year Bald Eagle that I flushed
out of a tree along the preserve trail that parallels the bluffs (trail 4). It
meandered lazily off to the south. Warblers at the preserve included
Black-and-white, Parula, Magnolia, Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green,
Blackpoll, Wilson’s, Redstart, quite a few Yellowthroats (about 11), and great
looks at a Prairie which has been very difficult for me to find in the fall at
this location. Also seen were Red-Eyed Vireo, Eastern Phoebe, E Wood Pewee,
several empidonax types, Veery, Scarlet Tanager, and a big Cooper’s Hawk.

After the preserve, I walked west along the beach to Prospect Point and the
adjacent salt marsh, where I found another great bird, a very dingy looking
Dickcissel associating with House Finches in the dune shrubbery. I had to look
at this bird for a while but it eventually took off and gave its distinctive
flight call. I also found a late Yellow Warbler in the marsh along with 8
Bobolinks and 15 Palm Warblers.
It was great to be at this location this morning, where it all started for me
in September....41 years ago.

Returning to Hauppauge, I had 2 Common Nighthawks over the yard at about 6 30
PM.

Cheers,

Glenn Quinn
Hauppauge, NY