I've posted pictures at my web site http://stevewalternature.com . I haven't
studied the Cackling Goose complex to the extent that others have, but to me
these appear to be different subspecies.  One is clearly larger and longer
necked - even longer necked than most of the surrounding canadensis type
Canadas. I think it would be a Richardson's.  At a distance or without a
good look at the bill, it could be almost impossible to pick out. The
smaller one, detectable at a distance, will guide you to both. While in
photo range, the larger one slept with head tucked in. I only got a couple
of pictures of it, as the two swimming away together. The smaller one was
much more cooperative and I posted a close up. A pale ring on its neck is
clearly visible.

Thanks Corey, for finding them and alerting me. Sadly, I had looked at the
flock of geese before he did, and whiffed. I knew I should have given Corey
a few minutes before I hit the road. I had to go back later. Hey, you know
me - I'm not that good a birder. And yet, Corey wants me to do his Christmas
Count.

Between Flushing Meadows visits, I went to Jamaica Bay. The 2 Long-billed
Dowtichers are still there, visible by scope across the pond from the
overlook past Big John's Pond. At least 2 Blue-winged Teal are still there -
at the south end. At least 8 Redheads, looking north from the overlook, but
I whiffed on red-headed wigeons. No sign of the pelicans while I was there
today, but I did previously see that they occasionally fly out to the bay.
I'm still flabbergasted by the numbers of American Coots. Was I at STA-5?
Good luck counting them, Eric.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY