Hi all,
At sunrise today Rich Fried and I were on the dock at Cedar Beach Marina
with hopes to see the Gyrfalcon that was found on Wednesday and seen
yesterday morning. After a couple of hours and with 3 other birders also
looking for it we decided to go and check other locations.

When we arrived at Gilgo the fog had rolled in and it was so thick that we
could barely discern the gates and perhaps half of the parking lot. You
couldn't even tell that there was a dock and water beyond. So we turned
around and drove back. Cedar Beach was also socked in fog by then so we
continued to Captree, which was virtually void of birds. Next we stopped at
the Coast Guard Station, where the sand bar was occupied by a large flock
of Brant, regular gulls and a few shorebirds.

At West End II we found a large flock of Snow Buntings (120+) that was
moving between the swale and parking lot.

After another stop at Cedar Beach Marina we made our last stop at Point
Lookout, where we enjoyed watching one male Harlequin Duck, 4 Purple
Sandpiper, a handful of Sanderling and cirka one hundred Dunlin on one of
the breakwaters. Common and Red-throated Loons were on the water, small
flocks of Black Scoters flew west to east, and further out a dozen or so
Northern Gannets were feeding.

good birding on an unusually warm December spring-like day,

Anders Peltomaa
Manhattan