For the issue of the covert patterning figure 19E and the legend for that
figure suggests an explanation.  As for tail length the pictures of the Queens
bird that I saw did not show a fully grown shape and it seems very likely that
it is still growing, making conjecture about relative or absolute tail length
rather hazardous.

Cheers
Phil Jeffrey
Princeton