Responding to Derek's early afternoon posting, as I approached Ground Zero
no more than a hour afterward, the sickening sight of geese lifting off and
flying away greeted me. As I started to scan the flock, small sections
continued to take off, most heading north, with some leaving in an easterly
direction. All was "doom & gloom" until I noticed a group of 9 geese lift
off and start to head north, with 8 being Canadas, while the other, a
Pink-footed Goose ! This stroke of good luck bucked me up enough to give
chase to all the birds I had watched leave, thinking I just might catch up
with the Barnacles, and possibly even the Pink-footed ! As I headed north,
this feeling intensified after finding an immature Peregrine Falcon perched
in the tallest tree at the intersection of Roanoke & Reeves Aves (opposite
the Riverhead/Tuccio Buffalo Farm) causing me to become more confident re:
finding the aforementioned geese. Although I covered the fields bordering
parts of Sound Ave, Doctor's Path, Route 105 and Northville Tpke, I never
did connect with any of them.

Cheers,
Bob