As I posted on February 7th, John Sepenoski came across 3 Barnacle Geese while
scanning a flock of roughly 1500 Canada Geese in the farm fields along Roanoke
Avenue in Riverhead. Fortunately I was somewhat nearby and managed to quickly
join John in viewing this interesting trio. Two of the Barnacle Geese were
adults while the other was an apparent juvenile showing more weakly patterned
upperparts with narrower black barring and smudgier feathering below the
hindneck. The group fed tightly amongst each other and clearly exhibited a
bond.

I did some eBird sleuthing yesterday and found a record of 3 individuals in
Broad Brook, CT on January 3, 2016, something I was unaware of prior to seeing
the Riverhead birds. Careful examination of photographs indeed shows the same
trio that we viewed in Riverhead on February 7th. For those interested, I’ve
copied and pasted the links to two eBird checklists from both locations with
photos:

Broad Brook, CT - 3 Jan 2016

Riverhead, NY - 7 Feb 2016

Amazingly this is the second record of a juvenile "Western Palearctic goose"
that has turned up on Long Island this year, the first being the Millers Pond
Pink-footed Goose found by Phil Uruburu on January 1st (likely the first juv
ever recorded in NYS). The vast majority of these rare winter visitors are
adults so perhaps this is a sign of things to come!

Other recent Riverhead goose notables include a lingering Pink-footed Goose
last seen by Bob Adamo on February 7th on the east side of Roanoke Avenue just
south of Reeves Avenue (same location as the three Barnacle Geese). A single
Cackling Goose was also present. Its worth noting that there’s a steep dip in
the terrain that completely blocks views of one of the main feeding areas, so
patience may be required when trying to track down some of these birds.
Hopefully they are still around!

Best,
Derek Rogers
Sayville